M*I*O stays for the Latin acronym of Mens Insita Omnibus (the Mind Includes the Whole) a famous quote by Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno (b.1548-d.1600). Regardless here to focus on his wide impact on several humanistic disciplines, I just pointed his contribution on the research of the human being.
The idea came to me because my studies about human being has often been the ground from which my artistic projects took place.
When I faced the opportunity to start a proposal for a group exhibition of Italian artists, I included some authors that are represented by my art project firstly physically located in my origin’ town (Pesaro) in form of a gallery named The BID that, in just three years and many events, became soon acclaimed as a really popular cross-and node for international art projects, and that in 2021 finally passed over to stands as an entity without any own space but in association and permanent collaboration with/and for several Museums in different towns, in Italy and abroad, in particular through the crucial leading partnership with Andrey Martynov, well known international curator and director of art projects also involved at BID’s event already since 2018 and with yours truly since 2011, when we organised a great Russian artists exhibition into the noble floor of the Fortress of San Leo.
Looking at the works of the selected artists (all coming from a peculiar geographical basing area that includes my own ones: Senigallia officially so called “Town of Photography” for Mario Giacomelli was born in and that hosts very important photography exhibitions and parallel events ) it is immediately clear that their styles are largely different one each other. However this apparently issue constitutes the special aim of “M*I*O” project.
The artists, I included, we are seven. I’m sure it’s not necessary to point how this number has a part in a lot of disciplines widely between esoteric, mystical, philosophical, maths, religious, astronomy, music ones and many others.
The First thing that filled my mind are the seven metallic elements occurring for the alchemist lead transmutation in gold, which is of course a metaphor of the human illumination and participation to The Divinity, or in others philosophical terms the Aim to match the Universe ONE from the multitude; the wisdom from Kaos and so on.
Far here from my job to go indeed the argumentations, I just use this philosophical “meaning” to put together seven different artists, minds and styles that - accordingly to my concept - look, scan and live the same human status but from different angles of perception; from the surface go deep inside to search and join the cosmic man who finally dissolves himself into the Universe becoming a part of the Unity, or, using the Carl Gustav Jung’s theory of the archetypes of the collective unconscious, driving and digging into their inner and hidden fears, wills, shadow and their-selves soul to reveal the origin with/of the Big Self.
WELL, finally coming to expose the project in term of art and leaving behind philosophy, mythology and psychology, the show (made of seven levels/parts) begins with:
(note: artist statements and biographies of the selected artists will be soon available)
- Angela Virdis, who’s a painter set to the more external side of an hypothetical spiral driving to the Centre, offers her personal expression and view of the life’s feelings using a realistic style in which it is still clear that she is an observer and a teller of the basic instincts and emotions of the human being, specially when kid and teen ages: love, fear, sadness, joyful, sex etc. She uses oil colour technique on canvas. The paints are in a size that can be handily transported in case of air flight;
- Francesco Diotallevi is a painter too but he uses a kind of a style that is no longer realistic. His artworks look quite like comics where reality is left behind but his puppet’s sketches hide deeper emotional and critical attention to humanity, when compared to Angela’s work. Francesco is sarcastic, ironic and cynical too. However he still remains an observer without throwing out nothing from the inner. His technique is acrylic on canvas in large size paints but for abroad exhibitions he will use high quality photos of his artworks; on paper or canvas to be printed on site;
- Davide Filippini sets the third section but first one to offers a philosophical and conceptual approach with his photographs so close to the existentialist meaning and human state;
- Giovanni Gennari abandons the Human shape proposing a dreamlike scenario in which images of Nature lead to an Essence, to a ‘distillation’ to be assumed as a soul detached from the body;
- Lorenzo Uccellini makes a great new step totally abandoning any real human essence and daydream far out towards a merely fancy scenario which is needed to drive beyond showing a surrealist and conceptual photography set of prints that are treat with the addition of gold leaf, silver’s, ash, tar and painted segments. This set is actually the basic one created for Lorenzo’s last work titled “RELIQUA” (what’s remained);
- Mattia Stefanini’s photographic serie figures out a man that has already left far behind him any human attachment and that is ready to become the alchemist Gold, to join the Big Self; a Cosmic Man where the multitude finally got One. Out of this project it’s remarkable Mattia’s work with top actor as Angelina Jolie during a special edition of photos created with the light painting technique.
- Simona Materi’s little abstract sculpture sums up the seven steps;
- According to a cross media project that is my very first intent, DanyRusso will create an original soundtrack that will describe in music the journey from the Man’s basic feelings (from the surface) to the Inner hidden side of himself. The soundtrack will be officially released in form of CD (like insert of the book that will accompany the exhibition) and will be played in those locations that could host music. It’s also intent of the project to produce live music shows in which the concept and images of the visual artists will stand up thanks to a special abstract video that might be used in different situations and ways.
All the artists are asked to present seven artworks; to follow the “fil rouge”. Of course depending from the different locations that will host the exhibition, the number of works and size too might change accordingly with the spaces.
Lorenzo Uccellini ~ Art Director